45- Sura Al-A’raf
45- Sura Al-A’raf
donate to continue
88. The chiefs of those who were arrogant among his people said: « We shall certainly drive you out, O Shu‘aib, and those who have believed with you from our town, or else you ( all ) shall return to our religion. » He said: « Even though we hate it!? »
89. « We should have invented a lie against Allâh if we returned to your religion, after Allâh has rescued us from it. And it is not for us to return to it unless Allâh, our Lord, should will. Our Lord comprehends all things in His Knowledge. In Allâh ( Alone ) we put our trust. Our Lord! Judge between us and our people in truth, for You are the Best of those who give judgment. »
90. The chiefs of those who disbelieved among his people said ( to their people ) : « If you follow Shu‘aib, be sure then you will be the losers! »
91. So the earthquake seized them and they lay ( dead ) , prostrate in their homes.
92. Those who belied Shu‘aib, became as if they had never dwelt there ( in their homes ) . Those who belied Shu‘aib, they were the losers.
93. Then he ( Shu‘aib ) turned from them and said: « O my people! I have indeed conveyed my Lord’s Messages unto you and I have given you good advice. Then how can I sorrow for the disbelieving people’s ( destruction ) . »
94. And We sent no Prophet unto any town ( and they denied him ) , but We seized its people with suffering from extreme poverty ( or loss in wealth ) and loss of health ( and calamities ) , so that they might humiliate themselves ( and repent to Allâh ) .
95. Then We changed the evil for the good, until they increased in number and in wealth, and said: « Our fathers were touched with evil ( loss of health and calamities ) and with good ( prosperity ) . » So We seized them all of a sudden while they were unaware.
- And if the people of the towns had believed and had the Taqwâ ( piety ) , certainly, We should have opened for them blessings from the heaven and the earth, but they belied ( the Messengers ) . So We took them ( with punishment ) for what they used to earn ( polytheism and crimes ) .
- Did the people of the towns then feel secure against the coming of Our punishment by night while they were asleep?
- Or, did the people of the towns then feel secure against the coming of Our punishment in the forenoon while they were playing?
- Did they then feel secure against the Plan of Allâh? None feels secure from the Plan of Allâh except the people who are the losers.
- Is it not clear to those who inherit the earth in succession from its ( previous ) possessors, that had We willed, We would have punished them for their sins. And We seal up their hearts so that they hear not?
- Those were the towns whose story We relate unto you ( O Muhammad ( saas ) ) . And there came indeed to them their Messengers with clear proofs, but they were not such as to believe in that which they had rejected before. Thus Allâh does seal up the hearts of the disbelievers ( from every kind of religious guidance ) .
- And most of them We found not true to their covenant, but most of them We found indeed Fâsiqûn ( rebellious, disobedient to Allâh ) .
- Then after them We sent Mûsâ ( Moses ) with Our Signs to Fir‘aun ( Pharaoh ) and his chiefs, but they wrongfully rejected them. So see how was the end of the Mufsidûn ( mischief- makers, corrupters ) .
- And Mûsâ ( Moses ) said: « O Fir‘aun ( Pharaoh ) ! Verily, I am a Messenger from the Lord of the ‘Âlamîn ( mankind, jinn and all that exists ) .»
105. « Proper it is for me that I say nothing concerning Allâh but the truth. Indeed I have come unto you from your Lord with a clear proof. So let the Children of Israel depart along with me. »
106. [ Fir‘aun ( Pharaoh ) ] said: « If you have come with a sign, show it forth, if you are one of those who tell the truth. »
107. Then [ Mûsâ ( Moses ) ] threw his stick and behold! it was a serpent, manifest!
108. And he drew out his hand, and behold! it was white ( with radiance ) for the beholders.
109. The chiefs of the people of Fir‘aun ( Pharaoh ) said: « This is indeed a well- versed sorcerer;»
110. « He wants to get you out of your land, so what do you advise? »
111. They said: « Put him and his brother off ( for a time ) , and send callers to the cities to collect – »
112. « That they bring up to you all well- versed sorcerers. »
113. And so the sorcerers came to Fir‘aun ( Pharaoh ) . They said: « Indeed there will be a ( good ) reward for us if we are the victors. »
114. He said: « Yes, and moreover you will ( in that case ) be of the nearest ( to me ) . »
115. They said: « O Mûsâ ( Moses ) ! Either you throw ( first ) , or shall we have the ( first ) throw? »
116. He [ Mûsâ ( Moses ) ] said: « Throw you ( first ) . » So when they threw, they bewitched the eyes of the people, and struck terror into them, and they displayed a great magic.
117. And We revealed to Mûsâ ( Moses ) ( saying ) : « Throw your stick, » and behold! It swallowed up straight away all the falsehoods which they showed.
118. Thus truth was confirmed, and all that they did was made of no effect.
119. So they were defeated there and returned disgraced.
120. And the sorcerers fell down prostrate.
121. They said: « We believe in the Lord of the ‘Âlamîn ( mankind, jinn and all that exists ) .»
122. « The Lord of Mûsâ ( Moses ) and Hârûn ( Aaron ) . »
123. Fir‘aun ( Pharaoh ) said: « You have believed in him [ Mûsâ ( Moses ) ] before I give you permission. Surely, this is a plot which you have plotted in the city to drive out its people, but you shall come to know.»
124. « Surely, I will cut off your hands and your feet from opposite sides, then I will crucify you all. »
125. They said: « Verily, we are returning to our Lord.»
126. « And you take vengeance on us only because we believed in the Ayât ( proofs, evidence, lessons, signs, etc. ) of our Lord when they reached us! Our Lord! pour out on us patience, and cause us to die as Muslims. »
127. The chiefs of Fir‘aun’s ( Pharaoh ) people said: « Will you leave Mûsâ ( Moses ) and his people to spread mischief in the land, and to abandon you and your gods? » He said: « We will kill their sons, and let live their women, and we have indeed irresistible power over them. »
128. Mûsâ ( Moses ) said to his people: « Seek help in Allâh and be patient. Verily, the earth is Allâh’s. He gives it as a heritage to whom He wills of His slaves; and the ( blessed ) end is for the Muttaqûn ( the pious – see V.2:2 ) . »
129. They said: « We ( Children of Israel ) had suffered troubles before you came to us, and since you have come to us. » He said: « It may be that your Lord will destroy your enemy and make you successors on the earth, so that He may see how you act? »
130. And indeed We punished the people of Fir‘aun ( Pharaoh ) with years of drought and shortness of fruits ( crops ) , that they might remember ( take heed )
131. But whenever good came to them, they said: « Ours is this. » And if evil afflicted them, they ascribed it to evil omens connected with Mûsâ ( Moses ) and those with him. Be informed! Verily, their evil omens are with Allâh but most of them know not.
132. They said [ to Mûsâ ( Moses ) ] : « Whatever Ayât ( proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc. ) you may bring to us, to work therewith your sorcery on us, we shall never believe in you. »
133. So We sent on them: the flood, the locusts, the lice, the frogs, and the blood ( as a succession of ) manifest signs, yet they remained arrogant, and they were of those people who were Mujrimûn ( criminals, polytheists, sinners ) .
134. And when the punishment fell on them they said: « O Mûsâ ( Moses ) ! Invoke your Lord for us because of His Promise to you. If you remove the punishment from us, we indeed shall believe in you, and we shall let the Children of Israel go with you. »
135. But when We removed the punishment from them to a fixed term, which they had to reach, behold! they broke their word!
136. So We took retribution from them. We drowned them in the sea, because they belied Our Ayât ( proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc. ) and were heedless about them.
137. And We made the people who were considered weak to inherit the eastern parts of the land and the western parts thereof which We have blessed. And the fair Word of your Lord was fulfilled for the Children of Israel, because of their endurance. And We destroyed completely all the great works and buildings which Fir‘aun ( Pharaoh ) and his people erected.
138. And We brought the Children of Israel ( with safety ) across the sea, and they came upon a people devoted to some of their idols ( in worship ) . They said: « O Mûsâ ( Moses ) ! Make for us an ilâh [ 1 ] ( a god ) as they have âlihah ( gods ) . » He said: « Verily, you are a people who know not ( the Majesty and Greatness of Allâh and what is obligatory upon you, i.e. to worship none but Allâh Alone, the One and the Only God of all that exists ) . »
139. [ Mûsâ ( Moses ) added: ] « Verily, these people will be destroyed for that which they are engaged in ( idols- worship ) . And all that they are doing is in vain. »
140. He said: « Shall I seek for you an Ilâh ( a god ) other than Allâh, while He has given you superiority over the ‘Âlamîn ( mankind and jinn of your time ) . »
141. And ( remember ) when We rescued you from Fir‘aun’s ( Pharaoh ) people, who were afflicting you with the worst torment, killing your sons and letting your women live. And in that was a great trial from your Lord.
142. And We appointed for Mûsâ ( Moses ) thirty nights and added ( to the period ) ten ( more ) , and he completed the term, appointed by his Lord, of forty nights. And Mûsâ ( Moses ) said to his brother Hârûn ( Aaron ) : « Replace me among my people, act in the Right Way ( by ordering the people to obey Allâh and to worship Him Alone ) and follow not the way of the Mufsidûn ( mischief- makers ) . »
143. And when Mûsâ ( Moses ) came at the time and place appointed by Us, and his Lord ( Allah ) spoke to him; he said: « O my Lord! Show me ( Yourself ) , that I may look upon You. » Allâh said: « You cannot see Me, but look upon the mountain; if it stands still in its place then you shall see Me. » So when his Lord appeared to the mountain [ 2 ] , He made it collapse to dust, and Mûsâ ( Moses ) fell down unconscious. Then when he recovered his senses he said: « Glory be to You, I turn to You in repentance and I am the first of the believers. »
144. ( Allâh ) said: « O Mûsâ ( Moses ) I have chosen you above men by My Messages, and by My speaking ( to you ) . So hold that which I have given you and be of the grateful. »
145. And We wrote for him on the Tablets the lesson to be drawn from all things and the explanation for all things ( and said ) : Hold unto these with firmness, and enjoin your people to take the better therein. I shall show you the home of Al- Fâsiqûn ( the rebellious, disobedient to Allâh ) .
146. I shall turn away from My Ayât ( verses of the Qur’ân ) those who behave arrogantly on the earth, without a right, and ( even ) if they see all the Ayât ( proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc. ) , they will not believe in them. And if they see the way of righteousness ( monotheism, piety, and good deeds ) , they will not adopt it as the Way, but if they see the way of error ( polytheism, crimes and evil deeds ) , they will adopt that way, that is because they have rejected Our Ayât ( proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc. ) and were heedless ( to learn a lesson ) from them.
147. Those who deny Our Ayât ( proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc. ) and the Meeting in the Hereafter ( Day of Resurrection, ) , vain are their deeds. Are they requited with anything except what they used to do?
148. And the people of Mûsâ ( Moses ) made in his absence, out of their ornaments, the image of a calf ( for worship ) . It had a sound ( as if it was mooing ) . Did they not see that it could neither speak to them nor guide them to the way? They took it ( for worship ) and they were Zâlimûn ( wrong- doers ) .
149. And when they regretted and saw that they had gone astray, they ( repented and ) said: « If our Lord have not mercy upon us and forgive us, we shall certainly be of the losers. »
150. And when Mûsâ ( Moses ) returned to his people, angry and grieved, he said: « What an evil thing is that which you have done ( i.e. worshipping the calf ) during my absence. Did you hasten and go ahead as regards the matter of your Lord ( you left His worship ) ? » And he threw down the Tablets and seized his brother by ( the hair of ) his head and dragged him towards him. Hârûn ( Aaron ) said: « O son of my mother! Indeed the people judged me weak and were about to kill me, so make not the enemies rejoice over me, nor put me amongst the people who are Zâlimûn ( wrong- doers ) . »
151. Mûsâ ( Moses ) said: « O my Lord! Forgive me and my brother, and admit us into Your Mercy, for you are the Most Merciful of those who show mercy. »
152. Certainly, those who took the calf ( for worship ) , wrath from their Lord and humiliation will come upon them in the life of this world. Thus do We recompense those who invent lies.
153. But those who committed evil deeds and then repented afterwards and believed, verily, your Lord after ( all ) that is indeed Oft- Forgiving, Most Merciful.
154. And when the anger of Mûsâ ( Moses ) was calmed down, he took up the Tablets; and in their inscription was guidance and mercy for those who fear their Lord.
155. And Mûsâ ( Moses ) chose out of his people seventy ( of the best ) men for Our appointed time and place of meeting, and when they were seized with a violent earthquake, he said: « O my Lord, if it had been Your Will, You could have destroyed them and me before; would You destroy us for the deeds of the foolish ones among us? It is only Your Trial by which You lead astray whom You will, and keep guided whom You will. You are our Walî ( Protector ) , so forgive us and have Mercy on us: for You are the Best of those who forgive.»
- « And ordain for us good in this world, and in the Hereafter. Certainly we have turned unto You. » He said: ( As to ) My punishment I afflict therewith whom I will and My Mercy embraces all things. That ( Mercy ) I shall ordain for those who are the Muttaqûn ( the pious – See V.2:2 ) , and give Zakât; and those who believe in Our Ayât ( proofs, evidence, verses, lessons, signs and revelations, etc. ) ;
- Those who follow the Messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write ( i.e. Muhammad ( saas ) ) whom they find written with them in the Taurât ( Torah ) ( Deut, xviii 15 ) and the Injeel ( Gospel ) ( John xiv, 16 ) [ 1 ] , – he commands them for Al- Ma‘rûf ( i.e. Islâmic Monotheism and all that Islâm has ordained ) ; and forbids them from Al- Munkar ( i.e. disbelief, polytheism of all kinds, and all that Islâm has forbidden ) ; he allows them as lawful At- Tayyibât ( i.e. all good and lawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons, foods ) , and prohibits them as unlawful Al- Khabâ’ith ( i.e. all evil and unlawful as regards things, deeds, beliefs, persons and foods ) , he releases them from their heavy burdens ( of Allâh’s Covenant with the children of Israel ) , and from the fetters ( bindings ) that were upon them. So those who believe in him ( Muhammad ( saas ) ) , honour him, help him, and follow the light ( the Qur’ân ) which has been sent down with him, it is they who will be successful [ 2 ] .
- Say ( O Muhammad ( saas ) ) : « O mankind! Verily, I am sent to you all as the Messenger of Allâh – to Whom belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth. Lâ ilâha illa Huwa ( none has the right to be worshipped but He ) . It is He Who gives life and causes death. So believe in Allâh and His Messenger ( Muhammad ( saas ) ) , the Prophet who can neither read nor write ( i.e. Muhammad ( saas ) ) , who believes in Allâh and His Words [ ( this Qur’ân ) , the Taurât ( Torah ) and the Injeel ( Gospel ) and also Allâh’s Word: » Be! « – and he was, i.e. ‘Îsâ ( Jesus ) son of Maryam ( Mary ) , ( as ) ] , and follow him so that you may be guided. [ 3 ] »
- And of the people of Mûsâ ( Moses ) there is a community who lead ( the men ) with truth and establish justice therewith ( i.e. judge among men with truth and justice ) .
[…] And when a community among them said: « Why do you preach to a people whom Allâh is about to destroy or to punish with a severe torment? » ( The preachers ) said: « In order […]